Friday, September 24, 2010

8 hour run tomorrow

It has been a long time since I have run an organized run.  My last races were my Grasslands DNF in March and the 5k at my kids' school in April.  Tomorrow I am going to run a race I said I would never run, the 8 Hour Run from the Ducks in Weatherford.  As it happens, Elliot will be gone for a puppet competition, so I'm off the hook for soccer, so I thought, why not, this will be a good training run for Palo Duro.

I had said I wouldn't do this run because it sounds so boring.  For 8 hours, I, along with about 40 other runners, will run laps on a .854 mile loop.  The winner is whoever runs the most laps. 

The good:
  • It's in Clark Gardens Botanical Park, so the scenery will be lovely, even if it's lovely again and again.
  • The anticipated slow pace and short course guarantee lots of opportunity for interaction with fellow runners.  Like a cocktail party on a track, except with Gatorade instead of martinis.
  • The race benefits the National Vietnam War Museum.  That's got to be a good thing, right?
  • A long training run with support. Much easier than a long run where I have to carry all my food and water or stop at convenience stores.
The bad: what could be bad?

It is supposed to rain tomorrow, but that will keep us cool.  Should be a great day!

If you're really bored, you can track my progress through the day here.
And of course, check back here for a full report afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment