Saturday, April 23, 2011

On the trail again

Yes, it really has been 5 weeks since I've run.  Not a step since March 20 until this morning.  My biggest excuse is tax season.  I have been going in to work an hour earlier and staying later.  Some nights I got off at 10 and reported back to work at 7.  (Just so you know, I wasn't required to work those hours; I chose to do so.)  So I didn't have a lot of time or energy to get a run in.  Now tax season is over, I'm back to a normal work schedule, and the too much work excuse won't work for me any more.  Now I just have to get my laziness tamed. . . .

It was nice getting out this morning.  I returned to Oak Cliff Nature Preserve.  I shared the trail with a bright red cardinal, some other little birds, a bunny, and a kitty who seemed surprise to see me.  After an hour or so I started to see some mountain bikers, but they are typically courteous and don't run me down.  The trails run through dense woods with the trees full and green, then pop out onto meadows blooming with wildflowers.

I ran a slow 6.6 miles, which was plenty.  I'm sure I'll be sore in the morning.  It was pretty warm, and the humidity felt like a coat weighing heavy on my shoulders.  It's just a hint of the hot Texas running coming up this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment