Friday, February 18, 2011

Cross Timbers, shorter this time

A year ago, when I crossed the finish line at Cross Timbers after a seemingly endless 15 hour run/walk, I said, "I'm never doing that again!"  Well, the Cross Timbers Trail Run is tomorrow, and I'm doing that again.  I'm running the marathon instead of the 50 mile run, so hopefully I won't take 15 hours to finish.  I'm hoping to finish faster than at least some of the 50 mile runners. 

Why am I going back?  It's a fun trail.  Hilly, rooty, beautiful, wooded, almost all single track.  It's certainly challenging.  Although the elevation is low, it's almost constantly up and down, some of it pretty steep.  And it's a fun race.  The race organizers do a tremendous job of planning and hospitality, providing a well-run race where every runner feels supported and important.  And, like most trail races, the on-the-trail camaraderie is worth the trip.  So I know it will be a fun day, if a lot shorter than my day on the trail last year.

I haven't been running as much as I should have been leading up to a marathon, but I'm hoping my legs will be fresh as a result.  Time prediction?  I don't know about a prediction, but I'd love to finish in 6 hours.  But tomorrow I'll be happy just to be on the trail and to cross the finish line.  Full report in a couple days!

No comments:

Post a Comment