Monday, July 4, 2011

Hope for the Hungry 5K

This morning, since I was at my parents' house in Salado, I decided to head over to Belton for the Hope for the Hungry 5K.  Hope has started these trail runs at their headquarters to raise funds for their ministry among the poor around the world.  I was not familiar with the organization until recently, when Danny Davis, an associate pastor at my parents' church in Salado and a long-time family friend, left his church position to go to work for Hope.  Check out their web site for details of their work: http://www.hopeforthehungry.org/.
I've known Danny since he was a baby.  I know I am on the short side, but we're on a slope here, so I'm not as short as it looks.
You may be wondering, "Paul doesn't run 5Ks, does he?  He only runs long trail races!"  True.  So I decided that to get my long run in, I would run to the race site.  The run there was nice.  I did hit a snag when my google map directions let me down.  That "bridge out" sign meant it!  So I had to backtrack and find my way there.  The run there was about 12.3, home was about 10.8, hot and slow.  Total mileage for the day, 26.3.  An ultramarathon!  (Barely!)

The race was a fun, 2-loop 5K through grassy fields, winding single track, and a little bit of dirt road.  Even with an 8 a.m. start, it was getting hot.  It would have been nice to have more shade, but we all need our vitamin D, right?  My goal was to come in under 30 minutes; I finished in 28:25.  I figure I could have run harder without my 12 mile warm-up.  I also thought I'd better hold back a bit so I wouldn't have to crawl home.  Still, I felt good about my pace and ended up second in my age group.

I met some nice folks.  Christian came out for his first 5K.  He's a sprinter, he said, so this longer distance was a challenge for him.  He did great, though, finishing a minute or so behind me, also second in his age group.
Christian, a fast 11 year old, ran a great first 5K.
Another runner had on a t-shirt that read "World Record Holder," so I had to ask what his record was.  Turns out he holds the record for most miles on a treadmill in 24 hours, over 160.  Sounds painful.  He also said he's getting ready to run Leadville and is training to qualify for the Olympics in the marathon.  More power to him!  (Here's an article about his treadmill record.)
I'll be watching for John's results at the Olympic trials!
I was home by lunchtime, was greeted by my kids and my nieces pelting me with water balloons, took the kids for a swim at the neighbors', and got to hang out with my parents and my sister and her girls.  All in all, a good day!
My cheering section on the way home.
Check out this awesome cactus tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment