Thursday, March 4, 2010

First run in weeks

Leading up to the flurry of 50 milers in my pursuit of the Texas Style Fifty Mile Grand Slam, several experienced trail runners advised me not to run at all in the 2 weeks between Rocky Raccoon and Cross Timbers and between Grasslands and Hell's Hills.  Others gave similar advice, not to run for a solid week before or after a 50 miler. 

I have enjoyed following this advice, my lazy side taking over.  The last training run I ran was on January 31.  Then I ran Rocky on 2/6 and Cross Timbers on 2/20.  I felt like I recovered quickly after CT, and even toyed with the idea of running Cowtown on 2/27.  I should have resumed training on 2/28, but due to laziness, weather, family obligations, overtime at work, or some combination of the above, I didn't run at all until today.

I didn't have much of a plan, just set out on one of my long loops from home.  This was the first time to run on concrete or asphalt (except for a few yards on the trail runs) since 1/31.  I wore my VFFs for the first time since Rocky.  I ended up running 11 miles, and did not enjoy it much.  My hips hurt, my feet hurt, I went way to slow, it was too hot for my long sleeved shirt, and to top it off, I couldn't get my ipod to work, so I did not have that to distract me from my other complaints.

I finished the 11, but sure did not feel like I could run another 39.  I hope I can pick it up a bit for Grasslands and Hell's Hills.  I would like to finish both of those in less than 15 hours!  Sorry for the whining.  In my fantasy life, I am one of those runners who seem to float across the trail, who go for hours without breaking pace, who run up and down hills without huffing and puffing.  I have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment