Friday, May 21, 2010

Adjusting to early morning runs

Warning: this is a really boring post.

I've been on the day shift for 4 weeks now, and my body is finally starting to adjust.  I have been getting up at 5:30 most mornings, running many of those mornings.  Since the 5K a couple weeks ago, I haven't made a new schedule, so I'm just running most days, as long as I have time.  Not the best plan, I know.

When I was running after taking the kids to school, I had time to eat breakfast, mostly digest it, and be up and around for an hour or two before running.  Now I get up, groggily grope around in the dark getting dressed and finding my Garmin and ipod, drink a little water, eat half a banana, then hit the road.  It takes me some time to get the kinks out; those first steps, I'm stiff and creaky.  It takes a lot longer to warm up.

Right now I'm having a hard time conceiving of getting in the mileage I used to put in leading up to a marathon or ultra.  We'll see what happens when I get a race on the calendar and have a more directed running plan.

So this won't be a totally boring post, I'll add this mildly amusing cartoon:

No comments:

Post a Comment