Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Upping the ante: White Rock IV

I wrote the other day that I had signed up for the Rockledge Rumble in November to get myself back in training for racing mode.  I decided that even though I had sort of sworn off road racing, since presumably I would be in decent shape for the Rumble, I might as well pound the pavement with 30,000 of my closest friends 3 weeks later in Dallas.  Tomorrow the entry fee goes up $25, so I decided to take the plunge.

Now I really have to get serious about training.  For the last 2 years, I have run with the 3:20 pace group.  In both cases, I stayed with the group for the first half, then slowed down, finishing in 3:35 and 3:57.  I don't think I'll be able to get to a 3:20 pace by December, so on my race registration, I put in my predicted finish at 3:59.  Surely I can get in under 4 hours again.

I have a ways to go to even get that fast.  I have run 5 miles each of the past 3 mornings at around an 11 min/mile pace.  For a run like that, I should be running 8 or 9.  We'll see if I have it in me.  Cooler temperatures will help, as will quitting my Dr Pepper habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment